Thursday, December 18, 2008
Reasons I Can Tolerate Winter
In my first post, I wrote my mini-manifesto regarding my hatred of winter. While I still loathe this dreaded time of year, I have to admit there are few (very few) aspects of winter that I can't help but love. In no particular order they are:
1) Fur. I admit it, I love fur. Peta would hate me. Fur blankets (of which I own no less than four). Fur coats. Fur trimmed clothing. Sure, fur can easily (and more often than not) look incredibly cheap and tacky and resemble something you would see on a hooker walking the streets. But when it works, it works. Even the various types of fur are fun to say: Sable. Mink. Chinchilla. I blame Joan Collins and Dynasty for this obsession.
2) The Holidays. While I have more of a love/hate relationship with Christmas and New Year's, when I get festive, I go all out. Plus the color schemes of scarlet, chocolate, and gold are right up my alley and any chance I get to see them in abundance...joy.
3) Tying in with reason 2, a chance to dress up. Tying in with Joan and Dynasty from reason 1, it should be no surprise I love to dress up. A suit, a tuxedo, an amazing pair of dark jeans with a velvet blazer, I have them all and I don't get the chance to wear them nearly enough. The Holidays are the perfect excuse to step it up a notch.
4) Winter also provides us with an abundance of sparkly products. Glittery wrapping paper. Shimmering Christmas decorations. If it shines it shall be mine.
5) Snuggling under the covers. There is something so amazingly satisfying about being able to feel slightly chilly air while you are warm and toasty in your bed. Bonus points if you have a cuddle buddy. Which I never seem to have during the winter. Thus, tying back to the hate relationship in reason 2.
6) Marilyn Monroe's version of "Santa Baby." I'm gay. I'm a Marilyn fan. This needs no further explanation.
7) Venti Cinnamon Dolce Lattes from Starbucks are just all the more satisfying when it is in the single digits out.